Re: [OM] OLY Amer. repair pricing (was: OM shutter speed selector)

Subject: Re: [OM] OLY Amer. repair pricing (was: OM shutter speed selector)
From: Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 09:52:36 -0700
>From: John Hermanson <omtech@xxxxxxxxx>
>
>Also, as I recall it was unusually warm  at those Olympics.  The Bob sled run
>actually started to melt.

Gee, John -- I was beginning to think we'd attended different Olympics! :-)

I went back and looked for my notes, but couldn't find them. As I recall,
there was a drought before the games, and they made snow and spread it over
the cross-country venue with dump trucks -- the first time in history a
major cross-country competition was held on artificial snow. I know it was
bitter cold at the beginning, but I think it warmed up during the games.

I distinctly recall that the men's 30k and possibly the 50k cross-country
events were postponed due to cold -- FIS rules require that it be warmer
than -20C (about -5F) for a race to start. The reason I distinctly recall
this particular race was because the patrollers had a thing -- if you were
on TV, you bought a round at the bar. I was at the finish line when the
great Finn Mieto won that ~20 mile race by the equivalent of less than an
inch -- 1/100th of a second! It cost me about $60 for that instant of
fame...

Requisite Oly content: see <http://www.bytesmiths.com/80AL06LowRes.jpg> for
one of my favorite shots of the games. OM-2, Zuiko 75-150/4 set to about
100mm, automatic exposure of about 1/4th, probably f16, panned with the ski
jumper during exposure, KR64. Jumper just came off the 70m ("little" :-)
jump. Taken from the press box between the two jumps. Can't read the bib --
no idea who it was -- probably a Norwegian; they wore blue.

Sorry about the dirt -- someday I'll get out the PEC-12 and do a proper scan...

BTW: this was really the only useful frame from half a roll shot that way.
It's really hard to keep a 100mph human being in the frame for 1/4 second!
I was shooting with both eyes, tracking the jumper through the viewfinder
during exposure, then following with my left eye during exposure.

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229