[OM] Zuiko 28/2.8 with a sticky diaphragm

Subject: [OM] Zuiko 28/2.8 with a sticky diaphragm
From: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 20:21:35 -0500
I just got two lenses in the mail I'd bought on eBay: a Soligor CD
70-160/3.5, and a Zuiko 28/2.8. Both have problems, alas. The Soligor's auto
diaphragm doesn't work at all - it's stopped down all the time - and, more
germane to this list, the Zuiko's diaphragm sticks.

The lens is in gorgeous shape. It's not quite a 10, but only because a few
of the ridges on the aperture ring are shiny at the very front corner. The
glass is clean and mark-free, the focus and aperture turn easily, and it
came with a Vivitar UV filter that looks like it was installed when the lens
was purchased and never removed.

The problem is that the diaphragm, which closes down easily and snappily
enough, takes a second or so to open up all the way from f/22. There's no
oil visible on the blades, and the stopdown lever takes no more effort to
operate than normal. If I turn the aperture ring quickly from f/2.8 to f/22,
the diaphragm follows it a bit, stopping down to f/4 or so, before opening
up again.

Is this something that I'd be nuts to think about trying to fix myself? Is
it a common problem? Should I send it back and say "you sold me a bum lens"?
Do I count myself fortunate that I only spent $70 on it, and live with it?