Re: [OM] Zuiko 28/2.8 with a sticky diaphragm

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 28/2.8 with a sticky diaphragm
From: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 04:54:56 -0500
On Mon, Sep 14, 1998 at 10:59:29PM -0500, Mark Hammons wrote:
> I was able to fix the problem myself just last saturday night.

[...snip...]

> Anyway, these 2 rings as I said rotate over one another.  In taking mine
> apart I
> found one small spot of what looked like grease -- evidently from the focusing
> helix.  I merely cleaned the 2 rings very well and reassembled in reverse
> order.
> You do need to be careful of the diaphragm "return" spring, which attaches to
> the ring for the diaphragm and the retaining plate.

This turned out to be my problem, although mine had oil all over the inside
of the mount area. After a careful cleaning, it all went back together just
fine, and now works perfectly.

Had it turned out to be much more complex than this, it would have gone
straight back to the seller.

FWIW, the folks who sold both lenses were of the opinion that they could not
test them because they didn't have an OM body to play with. I plan to let
them know that they can fiddle with the stuff on the back of the lens, too,
if they don't force anything and keep their cotton-pickin fingers off the
glass...

(The Soligor turned out to have an easier problem to fix: I removed the
mount, poked at the stopdown lever inside the lens - and it started working.
I put it back together and called it good.)

Thanks to Mark and Stuart Goggin, who wrote me privately with the same fix
about 10 minutes after I sent the message, and before I got mine back from
the list...