Re: [OM] Re: Marketing/OM 2000

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Marketing/OM 2000
From: "Mark Hammons" <astair@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 23:14:03 -0500

>Paul Van Tuyl wrote:
>>
>> One reason for the disparity is that OLYMPUS believes the 3Ti will become a
>> collector classic like the original 3! They are keeping the price
artificially
>> high, accordingly. Paul.
>
>   Well...that's just bizarre.  Why on earth would they care
>(financially speaking) if their camera is valued as a collector's piece
>after the initial sale?  Especially if they don't intend to actively
>support their OM line (as others have suggested is the case) the way
>Nikon has tended to support it's SLR line.  But whatever.  I'm not
>doubting you, just trying to fathom the logic.
>
>Cheers
>Ryan

Well, the OM-3 has become a collector's item, hasn't it?   And so by introducing
the OM-3Ti Olympus believes that they create another collector's camera.
The reason they care about that is that it then allows them to price it at a
collector's price -- and they rake in the profits.  Once all the OM-3Tis are
sold, I agree that Olympus will care less about how it retains its value
as a collector's piece.