Re: [OM] Re: OM 4Ti and Macro Lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: OM 4Ti and Macro Lenses
From: Denton Taylor <denton@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 07:09:36 -0400
>>   Thanks to everyone for the fantastic responses, and the warm
welcome!  I am basically deciding (like a lot of folks, I guess) between
adding to and building up my OM system and going with a Nikon F3 or F4
system. >>

I think your first decision is whether you are going to use autofocus or
not. If you feel it is necessary, Olympus can't help you and your decision
is easy. If, OTOH, you are planning to stick with MF, then a comparison is
more apt btw Nikon and Oly.

I'll allow that the F3 might be better built than an Oly in terms of MTBF,
and it has a higher flash synch and shutter speed. OTOH, Oly has a far more
sohisticated metering system, which to me makes all the difference in the
world.

>>The OM 3Ti is one whopping expensive camera, and I am left
wondering why...is it built to the "legendary" Nikon F standards?
(150,000 shutter cycles, etc.)>>

I would forget about buying either of the cameras new and look at the used
market. You will find that the 4t, which is the best and most versatile
camera in the Oly line, can be had used for <$600. That's about $100 more
than an F3; a suitable premium for a superior camera :-)

And with the lighter weight of the Oly system, you'll find you can carry
more stuff in the same bag...

Regards,

Denton Taylor
Photogallery at www.dentontaylor.com