Re: [OM] Black M-1

Subject: Re: [OM] Black M-1
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 22:07:43 -0800
N.Maekawa wrote:

>Olympus Japan, has an article on recent case of M-1 black body overhaul.
[snip]

A propos M-1:

At a recent local camera show, a friend of mine who has a significant
OM gear collection beat me to a chrome M-1 body.  It was far from mint
(misc. nicks, dents, etc.), but he still shelled out some $950 in cash
and trades (no, I would never pay THIS much, in case anyone wonders :-))

Anyway, since the guy is my friend, I got to inspect the M-1 -- close
and personal.  Remarkably, the M-1 looks nearly identical to a non-MD
OM-1 which I have.  Indeed, I couldn't find any differences between the
two, aside from the M-1 vs OM-1 moniker embossed on the top plate.

Of course, my non-MD OM-1 is only worth $150-160.  Which brings me to
ask the following question: how come there is not a cottage industry to
counterfeit M-1's from non-MD OM-1's?  There is clearly a potential for
a huge profit here, as well as a well-established precedent of some
300+ Leica copies. Moreover, countless counterfeit Leicas made from
these copies, some of which are hugely popular with the collectors.

Sooooo, should I keep my non-MD OM-1 for a possible future reincarnation
as an M-1? :-)  In the mean time, I must do with the only M-system item
I have in my possession -- a yellow SY48.2C (Y2) 49mm OLY filter in a box
marked with a large "M", and a little gold square that reads: "M system"
(sob, sob)

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, CA