[OM] Re: Human vision (no OM content)

Subject: [OM] Re: Human vision (no OM content)
From: Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 22:31:19 -0700
>From: ONLYOLYBW@xxxxxxx
>Very interesting post.  My interest is photographing the thinks I 'cannot' see
>well.  Close-ups / Macro (Love to photograph the small details of small living
>things)  and wildlife (Blood vessels on a deer's antlers in velvet or water
>dripping from a ducks bill) with Tele's.
>Any thoughts?

I'd think that such things are not immediately recognizable, and are
disconcerting at first, as the viewer struggles to fit them into some frame
of reference -- some familar angle of view. That adds greatly to the
interest -- the longer you can engage the viewer, the more successful you
are, whether it be within the three circles I mentioned, or totally beyond,
such as a macro or astro shot, to cite two extremes.

I just got some slides back that included a tight close-up of tree bark. I
always number my slides in the upper-left corner for indexing, relative to
proper orientation on a light table, but three of us couldn't agree on what
the "proper" orientation of the tree bark was! I had totally forgotten
which way I was holding the camera. In fact, it was just a "throw away
shot" to test out a new 500/8 mirror I had just received, but it turned out
to be the most interesting thing on the roll!

At that point, I said "heck with it" and chose an orientation that I
thought was slightly more artistic, although it didn't lose much in any of
the four positions.

Maybe I'll make a seamless tile of it for my Mac desktop... :-)

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229