[OM] PhotoCD quality problem

Subject: [OM] PhotoCD quality problem
From: sebastien@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sebastien Roy)
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 18:06:09 -0400 (EDT)
Hello everone,

I just got a back of 50 slides scanned by Kodak PhotoCD.
The results are quite bad.  It seems the scanner can't
reproduce the contrast range of the slides. So it arbitrarily
destroys dark and light areas of the pictures.

The slide are shots of ceramic objects over a black velvet background,
under overcast sky lighting. Of course, I don't mind loosing details
in the dark areas, but not in the light areas.

Is this a know problem? And how do I fix it, without requiring
a skilled (and expensive) technician to do everything by hand?

Did anybody use a "calibration" shot on a roll to set the scanner
once for a whole roll? And what can be used as a proper calibration
tool?

I'm starting to believe that automated scanning is almost as bad as
automated printing. I hope I'm wrong...

Digitally challenged,

Sebastien

--
-- Sebastien Roy
-- NEC Research Institute, Vision Stereo