Re: [OM] macro function

Subject: Re: [OM] macro function
From: Konrad Pizzuto <pizzuto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 1998 23:08:31 -0700
I'll try and help you if I can.

On my zoom lens, you have markings of the type 1:4 , 1:8, 1:16, etc.
These refer to the magnification that the lens provides at that zoom
setting.  Example: on my lens, at 28mm setting, it corresponds to 1:4
magnification (1/4 of real life size).

Now, you set the focusing ring to closest possible focus, and then you
move yourself as close as the focusing allows, to the subject.  At that
distance you will have a 1:4 (or whatever it is on your lense)
magnification.

You can improve the magnification by attaching a glass filter thingy to
your existing lens and bring the magnification to 1:2, or 1:1 for
example, or even 2:1 or 4:1.  This requires the said attachment to your
lens.  You will need to know the diameter of the objective lens mount
(example: 49mm , 55mm or 72mm, etc) and you can buy these closeup lenses
for it.  Hoya is a firm that makes such lenses and also other filters
but you are probably better off buying some second hand.

Hope I was useful to you,

cheers

Konrad Pizzuto

Andrew Burrows wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm just getting into photography so I bought an OM10 about a month ago
> - its great and I've already had a lot of fun with it. This mate of my
> Dad's gave me a zoom  lens for it at the weekend (made by ozeck with
> focal lengths from 80 to 200mm) it is probably not a great one - as
> after all this guy just gave it me - but it is better than nothing.
>
> Any how my problem is that it has printed on it (next to all the focus
> and zoom information) stuff about a MACRO MAG - as I understand it you
> have to do something to a zoom lens to make it do macro stuff but I
> can't find anything, on the lens, that I could do to get a macro mode.
>
> Could it be that the markings refer to a non-existent mode or am I
> missing something obvious?  I am not that bothered if it hasn't got the
> mode but if it has I would like to know how to use it.
>
> Please be patient with me as I am new to all this
>
> Thanks
>
> Andy

<hr>
Homepage</a>