Re: [OM] Digital OM-5?

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital OM-5?
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 1998 21:19:22 -0700
-snip
>       2) Image storage: This has already been discussed as a problem,
>       but with 32 bit/pixel, this would translate to an image of
>       ~40 Mb.  Pretty large to put in a handheld camera.

-snip
>Cheers,
>--Lee

If I am not mistaken 36 high information film transparencies or negatives
would then be equivalent to about 1.5 gigabytes that need to be stored.
Perhaps someone wants an OM5 with a built in specially built shock
resistant JAZ drive or a 1 meter cable going to a drive/battery pack to be
worn in a backpack. Surely no one will argue for 1 good image or 36
horrible ones? You do not have to make that choice with film.

I don't think it matters much where in the chain of events that digitizing
of the image occurs as far as being able to manipulate it easily for use in
publication. At this state of technology it does seem to be important that
digitization occurs later in the process with powerful, non-portable
equipment in order not to throw out so much of the information in the
original optical image.

Is there another issue with speed of transfer? I have not used a digital
camera. Is there a time lag for information transfer between shots. How
long will it take to transfer a 40 MB image to storage so that you can take
the next picture? My Mac has a 5MB/sec transfer rate on its SCSI bus which
is not especially fast for SCSI, but is very fast compared to a serial
connnector on a camera.  Will this mean 8 seconds between high quality
shots? Does this negate the use of sequenced high speed images equivalent
to film's motor drive?

Winsor

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California