Re: [OM] long auto exposures

Subject: Re: [OM] long auto exposures
From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1998 18:06:53 -0700
One of the many things astrophotography teaches you is understanding of
reciprocity law failure in films.  :-)   You summerization ofr what
recirpocity failure is essentially right.  This characteristic varies
greatly from one emulsion to another.  Various methods of treating the film
also change this characteristic.  One method, called hyper-sensitization,
drives out impurities and moisture by "cooking" the film at high temperature
is a hydrogen/nitrogen gas (forming gas) mixture.  Another method is to
place the film under a high vaccuum and store with dessicant to keep all
moisture out of the emulsion.  The camera body is modified to provide a dry
nitrogen gas purge to make sure the humidity in the air can't reach the film
during exposure.  These somewhat extreme measures increase the film's
sensivity to (very dim) light, reduce the effects of reciprocity law failure
and often shift the color balance - sometimes favorably sometimes not ....

At the other extreme, very short exposures in modern films do not exhibit
such a problem.  With the exception of Kodak's VPL film, an emulsion
specifically tuned for long (> 1 sec) exposures, there are no ill-effects
for exposure time up to 1/10,000 sec.  Pretty quick :).

John P
My Grandfather taught me to live by two rules.  Rule #1:  Don't tell folks
everything you know.