Re: [OM] dedicated flash for OM2s

Subject: Re: [OM] dedicated flash for OM2s
From: Brice1021@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 23:50:38 EDT
Gary Schloss wrote:
> There are 3 diff. solutions.  First, one can mount the 433D on Bounce
Grip 2 which is equipped with a TTL socket.  (Sadly, BG2 can feed ext.
power only to T-series strobes, but that's a diff. story).  Second,
a TTL Connector T20 can be attached to the 433D, providing the
necessary TTL socket.<
<snip>

I can speak from experience that the 433D + TTL connector T20 doesn?t work in
TTL mode.  Well, at least with my 433D.  The pin on the flash that controls
flash quench to makes poor (or no) contact with the T20 connector.  The result
is the flash always fires at full power.  I?ve got 3 T20 connectors and the
same thing happens on all of them.  If I don?t tighten the flash down, it
works OK in TTL.

What is even stranger is that the 433D works OK in the camera hot shoe.  I
always thought the design dimensions of the hot shoe and the T20 connector
were the same.  I haven?t got out a calipers to check this but something must
be different.

I think the problem may lie with Sunpack?s choice of pins.  Sunpack uses round
pins (ball bearings) for the viewfinder information and flash quench.  The up
and down travel of these spherical pins is limited by the size of the ball.
Therefore, the shorter travel won?t allow good contact with all types of hot
shoes.

Bill Rice