Re: [OM] "Bokeh" and the 2-13 screen

Subject: Re: [OM] "Bokeh" and the 2-13 screen
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 16:16:53 -0800
On 14 Aug 98 at 17:52, Brice1021@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Once the excitement of getting a 2 series screen wore off (gee! it's like
> having a brand new camera) I began to notice the differences in out of focus
> effects.  It was most noticable with the 85/2.  The backgrounds seemed to be
> more defined than they should be, like I was using an f2.8 or f4 lens.  IMHO
> there is a handicap in the previewing capability of the 2-series screens.  But
> I must say that the increase in brightness far outweighs the decrease in
> bokeh.

I've noticed this also. Although I've now used to what kind of bokeh to expect
at portrait distances, using f2.8 through f/8 (after using the 85/2 as my
"standard lens" for about 5 rolls), some recent experiments with closeups on
the 85/2 w/25mm tube showed again that the DOF shown in the preview is not
accurate.
I love the brighter screen, but also find the micro-prism and split image often
are useless with certain subjects, making me wish I'd opted for the 2-4
instead... I'm consistently using the matte area just off centre to focus.