Re: [OM] "Bokeh" and the 2-13 screen

Subject: Re: [OM] "Bokeh" and the 2-13 screen
From: "Ken Norton" <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 1998 16:05:31 -0500
>Like Winsor, I too have noticed the wierd diffraction patterns of the 2
series
>screens.  I have also noticed a similar effect with the 1-8 screen,
probably
>attributable to the finer matte surface of these screens?  Theres got to be
>scientific explaination for this effect but I'm no physics expert.  Maybe
Lee
>H. can shed some light <g> on this.

Lee probably can describe in scientific detail, but a layman's description
is that the 2-series matte surface is actually a type of microprism.  As
such, the screen won't "blur" but will scatter the out-of-focus image in a
defined manner as determined by the prism structure of the microprism.  Like
any good microprism, the image will have a tendency to "snap" when in focus,
which helps immensily with the big OM viewfinder, but pretty much messes
with your mind when dealing with macro and such.

I'm finding that as wierd as the bokah is, the extra brightness more than
makes up for the inconvienence.  However, I'm not getting rid of all my old
screens yet.

Nikon's equivelent to the 2-series has the pattern going in 5 different
directions, so instead of the banding that we get, the bokah resembles
smudges.  Little more "accurate" but also not quite as bright.  The smudges
really take getting used to, but are probably better than our 2-series
screens.

Ken N.