[OM] Mirror, mirror, on the mount, which ones suck, which ones count!

Subject: [OM] Mirror, mirror, on the mount, which ones suck, which ones count!
From: Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 08:58:29 -0700
I've long been fascinated with mirror (reflex) lenses, for their small
length and light weight for a given focal length.

However, they have trade-offs, such as no diaphram (and thus, no control
over depth-of-field and limited shutter-speed options), light fall-off in
the edges, and distorted out-focus highlights.

How does the Olympus 500/8 mirror stack up against others from Sigma,
Vivitar, Tokina, Tamron, et. al.? Anyone have one of these beasts?

I'd expect an Olympus anything to be smaller and lighter that the
competition, but at 590g (according to Farrar's Olympus Lens page), it's
nearly twice as heavy (and expensive!) as Cambridge Camera's Cambron 500/8.

What about telescopes and spotting scopes, such as Meade's or Celestron's?
Are these credible as lenses?

Do *you* have a mirror lens? Does it get used as much as your refracting
teles and zooms? What problems has it solved? What problems does it
introduce? For what situations is it ideal? What situations find it
wanting, and why?

This might seem minimally related to Olympus, except the compact,
lightweight nature of reflex lenses seems to suit the Olympus philosophy
well.

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229