Re: Scanning (Was: Re: [OM] HCB - OM eqivalent to Leica M +35/2?)

Subject: Re: Scanning (Was: Re: [OM] HCB - OM eqivalent to Leica M +35/2?)
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 09:59:43 +0800

> To bring it back to photography, I'm not familiar of any application,
> whether inkjet or commercial printing process, that would require an output
> file of greater than 300dpi.
>
> That's ouput, not input! To enlarge a slide to 8x10, scan it in at the
> highest res your scanner will support and reduce it later.

Yes, for most printing 300dpi output resolution is good enough, for example the
Kodak 8650 dye-sub printer. But the Fuji Pictrography output at 400dpi continue
tone that need the same input to get the best result. For ink-jet prints,
200dpi is good enough for normal photo, but if it containing some texts you may
need higher resoultion to get the sharp text output. If you have lots of memory
and computer power, 300dpi is recommended.

C.H.Ling
Accura Digital Imaging
http://www.glink.net.hk/~accura