Re: [OM] Mirror, mirror, on the mount, which ones suck, which ones count

Subject: Re: [OM] Mirror, mirror, on the mount, which ones suck, which ones count!
From: EdMall@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 22:39:14 EDT

<< I've long been fascinated with mirror (reflex) lenses, for their small
 length and light weight for a given focal length.

 However, they have trade-offs, such as no diaphram (and thus, no control
 over depth-of-field and limited shutter-speed options), light fall-off in
 the edges, and distorted out-focus highlights.

Sounds like we're reading the same book.  I was lucky enough to find a Cosina
100-500 f5.6-8 on the web at "A Camera Store" in Chicago.  At well under $200
including shipping, it is a much better buy than any mirror lens.  Except for
the weight.  Coupled with a 35-105, a 50f3.5 macro and maybe a 28f2.8, you've
got a full system with 4 lenses that will fit in a moderate sized back pack
and leave room for a six pack.
Of course, with either lens (refracting or mirror), you'll want a tripod ( or
fast film or monopod, or a tree to lean against, or a beanbag or????????

Hope this helps
Ed