Re: [OM] HCB - OM eqivalent to Leica M + 35/2?

Subject: Re: [OM] HCB - OM eqivalent to Leica M + 35/2?
From: Denton Taylor <denton@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 19:29:51 -0400

> Can anyone tell me if using a 1400dpi scan from a Nikon coolscan
>  is sufficient for 4 colour glossy printing at about 6x9" size?

Staying above 150 dpi after setting the image size in your digital image
editing software insures a good quality print, at least on my Epson 800,
although I detect a *slightly* better print at aound 200 dpi.  So you should
be able to go to 9 x 13.5" without quality loss, assuming NO cropping.  I scan
many 35 mm f/2.8 Zuiko (single coated) shots.  They make remarkable 8 x 12
digital prints, even at a diffraction limited f/16.

I missed the original post... If you mean 4C printing, as in real heavy
metal printing press, the rule of thumb is to scan at double the line
screen. You'll have to ask your printer what line screen he will be using.
For glossy paper, probably around 120, so you could get by with 240dpi. I
usually use 250dpi with good results. If, OTOH, you are speaking of an
inkjet print, see Gary Resse' reply above!

Regards,

Denton Taylor
Photogallery at www.dentontaylor.com