[OM] anti-brassing

Subject: [OM] anti-brassing
From: "Patrick W. Greenlee" <patrickg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 07:39:55 -0700
>What I do when I get a new body:
>
>1) Immediately discard the split-rings that go through the strap holes.
>2) Then get some nice heavy parachute cord or round nylon boot-lace that is
>just the size of the strap holes.  * * *    etc. etc.

        I have been successful in avoiding brassing while using sturdy
(rather large) snap swivel hooks on the OEM Oly split rings.  I sewed up a
couple small sleeves from scrap denim material.  These are large enough in
diameter to fit over the hooks and split rings and long enough to cover all
the nasty-scratchy metal.  They are easily compressed (pulled up and away
from the hooks) to allow swaping the strap from body to body but tight
fitting enough to stay in place.  Yes I know, I should get another strap or
three.
        B U T  I can immediately tell which body is the "duty body" (it has
the strap).  My secondary strap is military surplus olive drab parachute
cord, quadrupled to make it more comfortable on my neck while hiking or
whatever but needs to be replaced with a better strap.  Maybe one of those
specially shaped (lie flat behind neck and over sholders) but over priced
store bought straps  O R  a modified guitar strap  O R  my own creation.
As light as OM-1n and OM-2n bodies are they can become a pain in the neck
with a poor strap.

Patrick