Re: [OM] How to build your own MR-9!

Subject: Re: [OM] How to build your own MR-9!
From: Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 08:24:50 GMT
On Mon, 10 Aug 1998 16:39:30 +1000, "Terry and Tracey"
<foxcroft@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>| I made my own adapter to use silver oxide batteries.  Here's how:
>>|
>>| 1.  Go to Radio Shack and buy a two sided copper clad circuit board
>>| blank. These are used to etch PCBs.  Also buy a package of ten
>>| germanium diodes (you only need one, but RS only sells them by 10).
>

>The germanium diode drops too much voltage according to my electronics
>knowledge. ).3 volts generally. The mod suggested by John would be the more
>accurate result.
>
>Foxy

I agree. I think a .3 volts drop is adequate when two cells are used
in series (3 volts -> 2.7 volts) but if only one is used like in the
OM-1, a Schottky diode should be used instead of a germanium one.

I wonder if the PC-board + silver cell combined thickness will still
fit into the OM-1 battery compartment... but the poor and pitiable
mercury-less will just have to try and find out... ;-)

Frank.