Re: Being offended (minimal OM content, was Re: [OM] Batteries)

Subject: Re: Being offended (minimal OM content, was Re: [OM] Batteries)
From: P2CON@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 17:24:09 EDT
In a message dated 98-08-07 05:18:01 EDT, Christopher Biggs wrote:

<< Chris Barker <cbarker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> moved upon the face of the 'Net and
spake thusly:

 > Just because there are rude people in the world, we do not all have to tag
 > along and be rude, in person or on the Internet (or on the road, sorry to
 > all the Italian drivers whose prowess I commented on under my breath).  I
 > do not believe that Mr Man who asked the question about batteries is any
 > the wiser about FAQs since the response mentioned no connection to the
 > Olympus FAQs.

 I should have mentioned the FAQ.

 IMHO, anyone who can find this mailing list can find the FAQ.  Most
 new members probably come to this list via a web page that lists
 both resources. -------(big snip) ------>>

My input:
 The newbie question is still valid, and still unanswered.  The Oly FAQ
mentions the MR-9 adapter for use with silver oxide cells at a cost of $29.95
plus shipping and the continued cost of the silver oxide batteries.  It also
mentions the Wein lead-air cells with short life as an unsatisfactory
solution.  We have had a few posts recently about the "availability" of the
original mercury cells, and where to get them, and also now about the $10
circuit modification that JH will do (but only with a $100 body overhaul).

I found the following info in a Konica users page:

"Battery Problem?

One reservation people may have about buying a T4 or TC is concern about
the availability (or lack thereof) of the 1.35 V mercury 625 batteries.
Although they are no longer sold in some states (such as California
where I live), they are still available. I bought some recently from a
dealer in Nebraska and relatives overseas tell me they are easily found
in Britain and Hong Kong for example. I have read that Wein has come out
with an "air cell" battery designed to replace the mercury 625
batteries. Unlike alkaline batteries, the air cell batteries (like
mercury batteries), supposedly maintain a constant 1.35 V which does not
drop as the battery ages. The downside though is that once activated the
air cell batteries will go dead after a few months even if the camera is
not used unlike mercury batteries which will last for years if not used.
I believe the Wein air cell batteries are pretty expensive. I have been
told they sell for somewhere between $10 and $20 each!

I recently found what seems to be a very simple and cheap alternative
posted on the internet. Buy a pack of #675 zinc-air hearing aid
batteries. They are cheap. Mine cost $5.50 for a pack of 4. Although
mine were labelled 1.4 V, these don't seem to cause any error in the
meter readings (maybe they just rounded the 1.35V up to 1.4V. The
internet posting I read said that the #675s are supposed to be 1.35V).
The batteries are physically smaller than the 625s. To get around this,
buy small molded rubber O rings at your hardware store for fixing
faucets. The ones I bought had an ID (inside diameter) of 3/8", on OD
(outside diameter) of 9/16" and a wall thickness of 3/32". They cost all
of 35 cents each and of course are reusable. Just put them around the
#675 batteries which then will almost exactly match the size and voltage
of the discontinued mercury 625 batteries. The #675 hearing aid
batteries are zinc-air batteries and like the Wein air cell batteries,
will reportedly go dead after a few months whether the camera is used or
not once the small tabs on the batteries have been removed to activate
them. At a little over $1 each however, they are cheap to replace. After
reading about this solution, I bought some to try out myself. So far it
seems to work fine. The only trick was when I put the batteries in, I
initially screwed the battery cover down really tight (which I thought
would ensure a good electrical contact). The meter actually wouldn't
read until I loosened the battery cover very slightly. It has worked
fine since."

I found these at my local Costco at $6.75 for a package of 12.  That is about
60 cents apiece including taxes.  I just put one in my OM-1n two days ago and
the meter reads about 1/3rd stop different than the hg cell that was in it.  I
will let you know how long it lasts.  Could this be the best solution yet ?

Regards,  Paul Connet