Re: [OM] Sleepers

Subject: Re: [OM] Sleepers
From: GMcGrath@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 22:31:00 EDT
Good question, Shaun.

I hope the OM purists on the list don't jump me for this response, but I use
Olympus bodies for the control they give me over exposure and their
compactness, and independent lenses because they give me options that OM
lenses don't.

I learned photography on an OM10 (recommended to me by the professional
photographer in the media department at the Vet school I attended, who used
Nikon himself). I passed the OM10 on to a young friend to get started in
photography after I had bought my OM2S (my workhorse for years) and an OM3 for
backup. I'm just now starting to learn how to use my recently-acquired OM4.

Now for the lenses. My walking-around lens is a Tamron SP 35-80 f/2.8-3.8. It
was favorably compared to the Micro-Nikkors for macro work when it was in
production. My telephoto is a Tokina ATX 100-300 f/4, which gives me framing
flexibility, good speed and very good image quality, in a package that Olympus
doesn't duplicate. I've recently bought a Vivitar Series 1 19-35 f/3.5-4.5
(sold under a number of other brand names as well, so I understand) that gives
me a wide-angle zoom range I can't get from Olympus and which has gotten good
reviews in the camera mags in the last couple of years. I'm currently
considering the Vivitar 100 f3.5 macro lens that is getting a lot of
attention. I think these lenses give me "very good" picture quality while
falling within my limited resources. If I had the money, I'd probably go for
the OM35-80 f2.8 zoom and some other Olympus lenses, but I don't at this time.

I use a Winder 2, T32, and T20, along with other genuine OM accessories,
trying to come up with the best personal collection I can afford.

I'd like to hear more suggestions on this thread if there are any others in my
same boat out there.

Best wishes,
Greg McGrath