Re: [OM] How to test "new" OM-4T

Subject: Re: [OM] How to test "new" OM-4T
From: Dan Lau <dlau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 08:57:32 -0700 (PDT)
On Fri, 31 Jul 1998 00:46, EdMall@xxxxxxx wrote:
>What the highlight and shadow buttons do is change exposure rather drastically
>(several f-stops up or down) so the whites are really white and the blacks are
>really black (instead of each being18 0ray).  The button is used in
>conjunction with the spot meter after the spot meter has been set.
>For example:  A white rose with any color background.  Press shutter half way
>to turn meter on.  Aim center split image focus ring at rose. Push spot meter
>button. Push highlight button.  Compose and shoot.   If you want to hold the
         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ed, thanks for all the explainations of the capabilities of the OM-4*.
Since I don't have one yet, I am trying to collect all the information
about it and hope to acquire one eventually -- when the wallet permits.

In the above description, the results of that "push highlight button"
action was not clearly explained.  So you have spot metered the white
rose, and the camera calculated an exposure.  Now what happens when
the highlight button is pushed?  What is the effect on the exposure
of the rose -- exactly what is meant by "highlight" (and similarly for
"shadow") and what are the factors that enter into the calculations to
change the exposure?

And finally, how is "highlight/shadow" different from the normal +/-
compensation dial?  Can the compensation dial be used with spot
metering?

I'd appreciate it if Ed (or someone else) can further explain this
feature.  Thanks.
        -Dan