[OM] Experience with Olympus America

Subject: [OM] Experience with Olympus America
From: "John Austin" <j_austin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 15:44:48 -0700
I had a rather interesting experience with Olympus America today that I will
pass on for comments or observations. I was trying to obtain a front lens
element for a friends Zuiko 24mm f2.8. I called Olympus parts and requested
a price and availability. I was told by the parts person that the part was
no longer available. Please bear in mind that this is a supposedly
in-production lens. It appears on the Oly web site, Oly literature and
dealers price list. I asked how could a major part for an in-production lens
be not available. I was told the computer showed no parts available, end of
story.

Needless to say, I called back to the service department and inquired about
the availability of parts for that lens. I reminded them that the lens was
in-production and available for sale. I was told that just because a lens
was available in the warehouse for sale, did not mean it was in production.
They said that some parts might be available, they would check with the
parts department when and if the need arose, I should send the lens in for
repair.

I called back to the parts department and talked to someone else this time
and again asked about parts, mentioning that the service department said
parts were probably available. This time I represented myself as an
independent camera repair shop (which I'm not), hoping to get the part. I
was again emphatically told that parts for that lens were no longer
available, not to the Olympus service department, not to an independent
repair shop, not, period.

This brings up an interesting point in my mind. Someone recently mentioned
on the list about the posibility of Olympus selling OM system items from
what was left in warehouse stock. Now I wonder if this might not be at least
partially true, if perhaps not totally true. Might help explain the mystery
of why "current production" OM-4Ti bodies come with 1-13 focusing screens.

I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on this. Perhaps John H. would be so
kind as to check with the Oly parts department for availibilty on the part
just to see if what the parts department said was true. It certainly is
something to think about as far as continued distribution of the OM system
by Olympus America is concerned. Makes one wonder if the OM system is still
in production or not.

Regards,
John Austin