Re: [OM] Olympus Zuiko 35-105mm Zoom Quality

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus Zuiko 35-105mm Zoom Quality
From: ONLYOLYBW@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 03:05:41 EDT
Hi Ed,
I guess you wrote this response to me, since you attached my below comments.
My friends here on the list know me as Buddy Walters or just plain BW.
I will try my best to reply politely.

EdMall@xxxxxxx writes:
Ed Wrote:
<< You don't own one of these lenses, do you.
Snip!
No, I do not own the 35-105.  I don't think I indicated I did. I own 2 of the
35-70 f 3.6's, a 75-150 f4 & a 85-250 f5.  I see no reason to add the 35-105.

Ed Writes;
You've never even seen one.
Snip!
Yes, Ed you are correct again!  I have not just seen one, but probably 4 or 5
in the last few years.  In fact, I almost bought one a year or so ago.  But I
did not.  I am sorry if I gave you the opinion that I have just seen one.

 I'm looking at my Zuiko 35-105 f3.5-4.5 AND I'm looking at my 75-150f4 AND my
 200f5, all Zuiko.  Gee, the aperture rings all have 22 (32 for the 75-150) on
 the LEFT.  All move the same way!!!
Snip!
Ed, I think that's great!  As I said before, OLY would be making a big mistake
if all the lenses in their line were not compatible with regard to how the
aperture ring turns.

Could your anonymus someone on the list be wrong?
Snip!
Gee Ed, I don't remember saying I had an anonymous someone.  In fact, I did
not remember who wrote it, but It appears to have been Foxy because he
responded today on this list earlier and correcting my misunderstanding.  He
meant to say the picture Gary S. sent to Shawn had the aperture going in the
opposite direction than the Zuiko's.  I in turn thought the picture was a
Tokina.

Does this change your opinion?
Snip!
No, not really, my opinion doesn't matter anyway.  I have just been trying to
add some thoughts and ideas to this manufacturing ownership question that has
been going on for several months.

 More to come
Snip!
For some reason, I am sure there is!
Have a nice day ED.
Buddy Walters (to my friends - BW)

Ps, Ed, this is a great group of people here on this list with one thing in
common.  That is, to learn and help others learn about our Olympus system.  I
hope this is why you are on this list.

 <<
  As far as the 35 - 105 being manufactured by Olympus question.  I suspect it
  is not.  Mostly because someone on the list said the aperture ring works in
  the opposite direction as all other Zuiko's.  If this is correct, I doubt
  Olympus would make such a drastic change.  Why would they?  Also, if my
 memory
  serves me.  The 35-105 was advertised as a "price" ( I think they called it
  "S' series) lens.  This is a very common "outsourcing" method of adding
  product to an existing line.  Therefore, I would agree with Gary S. and
 others
  who have stated "they think" it is made by someone else.  If it was
  manufactured by Zuiko, then they must have gotten their ideas from someone
 who
  knows a lot about lens design.  Because from the reports here on the list.
 It
  is a very fine lens.  And it sure is a radical change from the other Zuiko
  zooms.
  BW >> >>