Re: [OM] Aesthetic sense.

Subject: Re: [OM] Aesthetic sense.
From: "John Austin" <j_austin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 22:28:05 -0700
I recently posed the question of how one developed an aesthetic sense when
taking photographs. I want to thank everyone who chimed in with a response.
After spending a few days digesting what all of you said and giving much
soul searching, I believe you have helped me to find the answer. Taking
great pictures of family and friends is usually easy, but I've many times
had to work extra hard at my real love, landscapes and nature, and the
results have not always pleased me aesthetically. As many of you pointed
out, the secret is emotional involvement. I'm emotionally involved with
family and friends, so those become easy shots. I obviously need to find
different landscape and nature subjects, or perhaps some other type of
subject entirely. Something that will inspire me more and reach out to me
emotionally. Only then will I be able to take photos that will have
something to say. Otherwise, the photo taking experience just becomes an
exercise in technical details, and the aesthetic side is completely missing.
Again, my thanks to all my friends here on the Oly list. The comradeship and
support that is present is sometimes close to awesome.

Regards,
John Austin