Re: [OM] Why Oly is in a hole / screens & 280 flash]

Subject: Re: [OM] Why Oly is in a hole / screens & 280 flash]
From: "John Petrush" <jfp@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 14:30:04 -0400
I will attempt to share my experience and limited understanding:

Greg Heier <gheier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>....snip a little ....<
>It seems like the F280 would be the way to go for the OM-4T just because
>of the ability to sync at any speed, but I wonder if there isn't some
>other considerations I should take into account (there are certainly
>cheaper and more commonly found flashes out there).

The F280 in FP mode is very limited in usefulness.  It is a fun toy and has
*some* application, but not nearly enough output for most practical
application.  I have one and use it rarely.

>As far as the other Oly flashes (T20, T32s, Auto 310, etc), what do you
>get from using one of these flashes that you wouldn't get from using a
>3rd party flash?

Beyond brand loyalty and 100ystem compatibility, nothing.  The T-series
are particularly convienent if you have an "n" version 1 or 2 equiped with
shoe 4.  They are also fine with the 4T as is - viewfinder ready light and
all.  Third party units worthy of being mated to an Oly body include any
Metz or Quantum and a select few Sunpaks (the J120 or 622 come to mind).
These 3rd party flavors require an extra adapter to provide OTF
compatibility.  Only the Oly F280 provides super FP.