Re: [OM] FAQ request?

Subject: Re: [OM] FAQ request?
From: Chris Barker <cbarker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 21:31:41 +0100
>The FAQ's don't seem to have the answers to what I would have thought were
>basic questions specifically:
>
>What are the basic differences between OM-1, 2, 3, and 4.  E.G. there is a
>useful discussion about differences between the flavors M-1, OM-1, OM-1MD,
>OM-1N etcetera, but nothing that I could find that would tell me why I
>would want to buy an OM-4/4Ti to supplement my OM-1x collection.
>
>The other question that feels like I should know the answer (but don't) is
>besides the OM-2000 are any of the OM bodies, I'd guess the OM-3Ti or
>OM-4Ti's, still being made/available new? (price is naturally a different
>question :-).  The links I followed from the web site say that both the 3Ti
>and 4Ti are currently available though I've never seen them for sale (even
>PVT doesn't seem to be offering them new).
>
>Would anyone care to take a whack at filling in this hole in my education?

Hi
I suppose that the FAQs have to assume a certain level of knowledge and
that might be that the reader knows the difference between the 4 bodies you
mentioned, but here is a start:
OM1, OM1MD and OM1N are purely manual, match-meter cameras in chrome or black.
OM2, OM2N are manual, match-meter or OTF automatic with aperture priority.
OM2SP is similar but much more modern with integral flash shoe, differenct
metering hardware, but similar capability PLUS program (with a clever
aperture-closure timing to assess the aperture) and manual spot metering.
OM3 is purely manual with spot metering; OM3Ti same plus synchronisation
with F280FP flash (all shutter speeds).
OM4 is similar to OM3 but has aperture-priority auto; OM4Ti same plus
F280FP synch.

That is a quick canter through; a book would do you better because the
differences are major.

The OM3Ti &4Ti are indeed still available from GOOD camera shops the world
over.

Clear?  ... as mud?

Chris

"Mankind hopes vaguely, but dreads precisely." George F Will