Re: [OM] Why Oly is in a hole

Subject: Re: [OM] Why Oly is in a hole
From: VELUWEH@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 05:20:53 -0400
Tomoko Yamamoto wrote:

>If you compare the OM-3, the OM-3Ti, and the OM-4Ti in all of their
>features, you can see the OM-3Ti as a new model.  As Winsor said, the
>fine lumi-micron screens which were introduced (a brand-new component
>for the 4Ti and other OMs) with the the 3Ti are important additions to
>the OM system even though they are small.  My 2-4 screen has made it
>much easier to utilize my slower lenses.

The latter is very true indeed, but although the 2-13 may already be
mounted in a new 3-Ti (why not in 4-Ti's, Olympus???), the "2" series
of focusing screens certainly are not specifically designed for this
camera - remember they fit and work without restrictions in the 2Sp, 3,
4 and 4Ti too. So the real upgrade was indeed to the System, not to
this specific camera.

>I think  what Olympus did in the introduction of the OM-3Ti is that
they
>made a mechanical equivalent of the OM-4Ti. The OM-3 does not have
>highlight and shadow modes, the OM-3Ti does.

O yes, the OM-3 does too. The FAQ describes the real differences
between the 3 and 3Ti. I would agree with Winsor and Denton that both
Ti's hardly can be considered "new" cameras, but more as updated or
patched versions of existing models, just like the 1N and 2N were.

Winsor Crosby wrote:

>You only get the addition of TTL (For those who think you also get the
280 SP
>mode.  Forget it. It only works as a manual mode,GN ¦'s etc.)

The support for Super FP, using the F280 flash is a feature of the 3Ti,
next to TTL flash support, but it works differently compared to the
4Ti, since the camera can only control (cut off) the flash (which can
be done both in TTL and in Super FP mode), but the camera can't change
the shutter speed during exposure which the 4Ti can; the 4Ti combines
OTF and OTC (Off The Curtain) measurement with Super FP. I guess both
cameras support FP without the need to carry a table or use GN's, but
the 4Ti has better support for sudden changes in light intensity (where
the 3Ti has better support for sudden changes in battery power
intensity...).

Hans