[OM] RE:I'm Back and Ready to Ramble

Subject: [OM] RE:I'm Back and Ready to Ramble
From: Kerry Dressler <bio-photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 1998 08:58:27 -0400
Welcome back, Ken!

        I'm eternally grateful for your telling me about this list!  I worked
hard
to keep up your "rambling" reputation while you were on vacation.  You were
absolutely right, this is a great bunch of folks.

        I must admit I sort of consider myself an expert on rain forest biting
insects.  I've thoroughly sampled every place we've ever worked, and there
are very few rain forests I haven't visited!  I plan my first foray in any
foreign environment to the local pharmacy where I pick up one of everything
that's recommended as repellents in that area.  Sometimes the local experts
get a little carried away with their assistence.. once a witch doctor in
the Darien of Panama mixed a clear plant juice (jagua) with ashes from a
camp fire and proceeded to paint my face, arms and hands.  Being a
naturally artistic type he of course couldn't resist the impulse to work on
such a large canvas and covered my face and extremities with swirls,
drawings and of course signed the art work.  He neglected to mention to me,
however, that overnight the "juice" would work like a dye which would need
almost 3 month to fade.  Even that would have been ok (it was really a very
nice art work) except I was scheduled to leave for a trip to Europe within
two weeks.

I have a few photos from lowlands of New Guinea where the dots all over the
slides correspond to mosquitos feet! The swarms were so thick, that they
appear as fog in the background of the photos.  I had to time my photos
inbetween sweeps of the paper fan my husband was working to the side of the
lens!  Oh, he has the perfect solution..  insects rarely if ever bother
him, he just makes certain he follows behind me, rather than in front!

These are unfortunately NOT stories.  My respect goes out to the fellows
who work in Australasia (Australia, Malaysia, etc) who have to work where
LEECHES reside.  I really can't abide them.. they drop from overhanging
vegetation onto your head or down your neck, and absolutely track you from
afar by your body heat!  NOTHING distracts them and they are almost
indestructable..  I still have a small lump of itchy protoplasm on one
ankle that was induced by a leech bite over 18 years ago.
Kerry

        Kerry Dressler                        Email:  bio-photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        Bio-Photo Services, Inc.                http://www.bio-photo.com
        21305 NW 86th Ave                       TEL:   (352)466-4215
        Micanopy, FL 32667             FAX:  (352)466-3151