Re: [OM] OM-2000 modification / dominant eye

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-2000 modification / dominant eye
From: Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 08:21:09 GMT
On Wed, 24 Jun 1998 03:03:22 EDT, PCACala@xxxxxxx wrote:

>Hi Sunil:
>
>> With this shooting stance, very often I used to hurt my right eye. TILL I
>>  switched to OLYMPUS OM2 and onto the 4T.
>>  This NIKON / OM2000 switch mode is BAD ergonomics and should be out right
>> banned
>>  as it pre-defines the camera user to be 'right eye person'.
>>  OLYMPUS should rethink on this switch mode issue.
>
>Great observation.  Write Olympus about that!  Makes one wonder about design
>engineers.  I know that for speed, 35 mm cameras are designed for right-eye
>shooting.  But non-engineers know that in the real world people have imperfect
>eyesight and might want to use the left eye.  I (eye) for one.  No wonder the
>OM1 through 4 feels right to me.
>
>Gary Reese
>Las Vegas, NV

I asked my ophthalmologist (who also is a friend - so no bills are
resulting from this consultation) and he told me that over 900f all
people have a so called 'leading' eye.

It means that almost everyone uses one (dominant) eye mainly for
vision, and the other eye only helps in seeing depth, etcetera. This
is all done completely automatically - until the moment where you have
to choose, i.e. in 'monocular' situations.

As it happens the left eye is the dominant one just as often as the
right eye, so there must be just as many left-eye shooters as
right-eye shooters.
Left handed people are a minority (at least in Europe and the US)
which is being taken good care of by scissor designers, knife
builders, etcetera, etcetera.
It is very strange that camera designers take no account of the
left-eye shooters - being 50 percent of all photographers in the
world....

Frank van Lindert
Utrecht NL.