Re: [OM] "blobs"

Subject: Re: [OM] "blobs"
From: Lars Haven <lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 22:26:03 +0200
jocke1s@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am pretty new to photography and also OM.
> (Pretty darn good stuff so far though, just love my OM4Ti)
>
> A while ago I got some prints back from the lab and when
> I look at 2 pictures of the Golden Gate bridge
> I see 3 dark "blobs". Looks like someone put some
> drops of something on the print.
> Checking the negatives reveals (to my great annoyance)
> that the blobs are still there *sigh*.
> You could check out the picture (or at least a very
> poor scanning and compressed .jpg of it) at
>
> http://www.freetown.com/Downtown/FirstStreet/1023/index.html
>
> I am sure the cause of the "blobs" are obvious to most of you. So If anyone
> could please enlighten me It would be very appreciated.
>
> If I ever take something decent I will try to put it up
> on the Gallery.
>
> Best regards
> Joakim Svensson

Hi Joakim,

I would not call it "obvious", but it looks a lot like air bubbles
adhering to the film during part of the development time. Only
that should never happen, if reasonable care has been taken when
developing the film. Some tanks are notorious for this kind of problem,
but I would expect anyone processig film for other people to be familiar
with the equipment and thus able to avoid problems.

You write that you use Tmax 400. Most labs do not do much B&W these days,
so they do not have the machines for automatic processing. Instead someone
gets to do the job by hand, apparantly not too well, so I suggest you
take care of the film development yourself. It's not hard, but you need a
little equipment. Check out the local library for some book(s) on darkroom
work if you are interested.

Regards
Lars
--
Lars Haven  <mailto:lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> aka <lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
"When writing about women, one must dip one's pen in a rainbow"