Re: [OM] Olympus Petition

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus Petition
From: "Paul D. Farrar" <farrar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 18:27:55 -0500
At 03:07 PM 6/22/98 -0700, gma wrote:
>Thanks, Paul.
>
>I tried my 80 F/4 with all combinations and permutations of the OM tubes
(7,14,25)
>None allow it to focus at infinity.  I believe mine is the 'newer' lens.
The rear
>element does protrude, but only about 1/8 to 1/16 of an inch.  The lens
says MC, looks
>like new and is S/N 204xxx. Does this sound like the newer lens to you?
>
>george

I'm home now and got mine (the older preset version) to focus at infinity.
>From the markings on the tel. auto-tube, it's 1:2 at 69mm and 1:1 at 109mm.
This indicates body plus lens has 51mm extension built in, and infinity
should be at 29mm extension. I did it with my Vivitar 2x macro focusing
teleconverter at what looked like that amount. The converter is a variable
extension tube in front of a teleconverter.

If your lens has a focusing helical and auto-diaphragm it's the new one, the
older has neither. Older ones can be MC, too; mine is. BTW, from the
cross-section in the OM lens book, it looks like the newer one is not
optimized at 1:1, as the old one is claimed to be, because it is not
symmetric. It may be aimed more at field use with the tube and optimized for
the range of that device.

Paul Farrar