Re: [OM] Sunglasses, Polarizers and Photography

Subject: Re: [OM] Sunglasses, Polarizers and Photography
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 11:57:57 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 20 Jun 1998, Joel Wilcox wrote:

> Most of the time, only part of the sky gets the polarized "improvement"
> anyway. Maybe somebody else can discern this just by looking, but I usually
> don't find out until it's an unpleasant surprise on the light bench. I
> think the polarizer is the most overrated and overused article in the
> camera bag.> Joel

  I strongly disagree. The pola screen is one of the most useful tools in
a photographer's kit. There are three classic mistakes people make with
them. First, indiscriminate use. Second, with wide-angle lenses, as Joel
stated, one oftens gets partial polarization of the sky, an odd effect,
and one which detracts from most images. Third, most people just crank
them over to maximum effect. Just as one would bracket an important shot,
I often "bracket the polarizer" for the same reasons (and by this I don't
mean nailing an exposure, but having several slight variations of the same
shot to choose from later) The way I see it is, if it's worth shooting,
it's worth shooting several frames of it. If it's not worth several
frames, it's not worth shooting.

                            *= Doris Fang =*