Re: [OM] Sunglasses, Polarizers and Photography

Subject: Re: [OM] Sunglasses, Polarizers and Photography
From: Lars Haven <lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 22:09:53 +0200
Lars Bergquist wrote:

> Many of us have the problem that we do not see things -- we see what ought
> to be there. In other words, we see not the outside worlds but our own
> preconceived visual notions. And that is not an exclusively photographic
> problem. When the impressionist painters began to paint shadows blue, there
> was a general outcry. It was 'unnatural'! Didn't everybody know that shadows
> are grey?

Apparently not ;-) I have noticed another phenomenon in colour perception, which
I have never seen mentioned in the photo litterature: Different colour balance
in left and right eye. My left eye gives me a slightly warmer colour tone
than my right. Several other people in my area have mentioned similar
observations
to me. This rises the obvious question: Which is "right"? Left, right or an
average?
Comments anyone?
BTW, it is best observed in bright conditions, e.g. on a white wall in sunshine.

[good stuff cut]

> It all boils down to this: We see with our brains. So it is quite simply a
> matter of taste. If you do not like the images you get with polarizers, that
> is, if you feel that they decrease your chances of survival and your Darwinian
> fitness, don't use them. But do not bandy about the word 'natural', please.
> Polarization is after all a natural phenomenon ...

True, but we do not have built in polarizers, so it can look a bit odd at times
when the polarized light has been removed. I like the dramatic effect a
polarizer
can give, but I will not claim that the result is "realistic", as it differs
from
what the naked eye will see.

> V?nliga h?lsningar/Best regards
> Lars Bergquist
> V?lkommen till/Welcome to ...
> <http://www.bahnhof.se/~timberwolf/>

Regards
Lars Haven

--
Lars Haven  <mailto:lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> aka <lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
"When writing about women, one must dip one's pen in a rainbow"