Re: [OM] Beattie focus screens on 2N

Subject: Re: [OM] Beattie focus screens on 2N
From: mahlon.r.haunschild@xxxxxx
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 20:36:14 -0500
Cc: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I don't have my Shipman book handy, but I believe that the OM-2n photocells
(located on either side of the eyepiece, I think) measure the light falling
on the screen, so any change in the intensity of the image on the screen
will result in an exposure error.  The OM-4 (and its later versions, as
well as the -2S) measure the light that falls through a half-silvered main
mirror , and then is reflected to the photocells in the floor of the mirror
box by a secondary mirror behind the main mirror.

Therefore, the type of screen used has no affect in the -4 (and -2S and, I
believe, the -3 as well) because they all measure light in the same way
(before the screen), whereas the -1 and -2 (including "n" variants) will be
affected by the type of screen used.

I guess that it's possible to measure the difference in the 2-4
screen-equipped-OM-2's meter reading against a Known Good Light Meter (we
all have one of those laying around, right??) off of, say, a gray card, and
dial in an appropriate ISO compensation.  Has anyone tried this?

See ya.

Mahlon

denton @ asan.com (Denton Taylor)  (Mailed by: denton @ asan.com (Denton
Taylor) @ internet)