Re: [OM] Backlight flare

Subject: Re: [OM] Backlight flare
From: Richard Schätzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 10:25:20 +0200
Marco Tomat wrote:

>  Ulf Westerberg wrote:
> >Now unfortunately som real blasphemy: Look up the results of a Nikon
> >20/2.8.
> >Flare resistance is so good it is almost unbelivable. Absolutely no
> >ghosting.

> Once my "assistant" pointed his second flash right to me while on the back
> of the subject...  The flash stands almost in the centre of the image...
> star diffraction from diapragm blades, but no flare at all! The lens? A
> Nikkor 40mm for S2A. Great lens.

Before the adore Nikon thread starts, let me explain my experiences with
a borowed N*k*n lens.
There was a very difficult to photograph interior, with an window
iluminating the scene. The strong side light from the window produced a
lot of flare on this low contrast interior (exept window) even when used
my hand to shade the lens. I was on the point of cursing my new aquiried
Zuiko, to check if an Nikkor would be better I borowed the highly
praised 20mm/2.8 MF Nikkor. Resulting in as much or even more flare on
the picture (same film, different camera), not very promising even if
you consider the larger angle of view of this lens.

On the other hand, nothing to wonder, I have not yet seen a lens which
is free of flare and ghosting, everything else would be a wonder. My
limited knowledge of physic let´s me know, that there is no way for
perfect transmission of light through the glass of the lens and there is
no practical way of eliminating unwanted rays of light in the barrel of
a lens. (Maybe with a black hole? Small enough, but this might have
other unwanted effects on picture quality) ;-)

Richard