Re: [OM] Photoshop 5

Subject: Re: [OM] Photoshop 5
From: Denton Taylor <denton@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 22:08:24 -0400
>Right now I would rather get a lens than upgrade to Photoshop 5.

I should have done the same. <g>

>I still do not understand the old one yet.  :-) I did not notice in the
couple of
>Mac reviews of Photoshop, that I hastily read, that speed was mentioned as
>a problem. Generally positive. Not sure what kinds of images you are
>playing with but 64 mb of RAM is really limiting because of the way the
>program works. Higher RAM requirements and disk space needs were mentioned.

I think anyone who feels 64mb of RAM is insufficient to open a program is
crazy <g>. I'm talking about working on web images of 1MB. In 4.0, I had no
problem working on 25mb files, although it was definitely slow.

RAM has nothing to do with the speed that a program opens. So I just did an
informal test to see how long it takes to open various programs on my
Pentium 200MMX:

Photoshop 5                     28 seconds!!! I also note this is only with the
standard PS
plug-ins being loaded. Under version 4, I had Kai's Power Tools, Black Box,
and several Extensis plug-ins loading as well.

Pagemaker 6.5           9 sec
WordPerfect 8                   8 sec
Excel 97                                3 sec
Corel Draw 8                    16 sec

I suggest anyone considering an upgrade to Photoshop 5, consider taking
Winsor's advice. Buy a new lens instead!

Regards,

Denton Taylor
Photogallery at www.dentontaylor.com