RE: [OM] Virus Warning

Subject: RE: [OM] Virus Warning
From: Greg Heier <gheier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 1998 13:24:17 -0500
All of these "email viruses" are hoaxes, and by forwarding them you're
just giving the authors what they want. You cannot be infected with
anything simply by reading a message. At a minimum, you have to open an
attachment.

Another thing is that you're not going to find legitimate virus warnings
spamed out to people with a warning like "forward this to all your
friends". The same goes for email messages promising medical treatment
for terminally ill kids, or money for forwarding a message to 'x' number
of people. These are all games played by immature people to get thier 15
seconds of fame (the same reason people create real viruses).

I know you're well intentioned, but the less we spread this garbage
around the fewer people will feel the need to imitate it.

Thanks... :)

Greg