Re: [OM] Virus Warning

Subject: Re: [OM] Virus Warning
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 1998 07:57:35 -0600
At 08:10 PM 6/8/98 -0700, Bradley Mabb wrote:

>>I received this warning from my secretary this morning.  Although many of
>>these warnings are hoax's, it's better to be safe then sorry.
>>Bonnie

[snip of erroneous virus warning removed]

Bradley;

Virtually all such warnings, as Greg Heier points out, are hoaxes.  They are
examples of "social viruses" used to waste bandwidth.  To check out this and
many other virus hoaxes, visit the U.S. Department of Energy's Computer
Incident Advisory Capability (CIAC) at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory.
Their URL for the "hoax" page is:

   http://ciac.llnl.gov/ciac/CIACHoaxes.html

Go there and read up.  Every Internet denizen oughta read this site: it'd save
ENORMOUS amounts of bandwidth lost from all those "virus" hoaxes that get
launched from time to time.

Garth

P.S.:  Oh yeah, and forward *this* message to all those people who've been
forwarded the hoax virus warning.  Mebbe this time we can stop these silly
things (though I seriously doubt it...).