[OM] OM77AF and Compatibility

Subject: [OM] OM77AF and Compatibility
From: "Tomoko Yamamoto" <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 1998 15:27:09 -0400
As I have almost finished with making the OM-5 wish list a readable html
file, I would like to put a question to those who desire an OM-5/6 from
Olympus, Japan.

I have heard some people saying that the OM77AF failed because it was not
compatible with Zuiko lenses.  According to Shipman and Marco on this list,
Zuiko lenses are compatible with the OM77AF although they cannot be made AF
lenses by attachment to the OM77AF.

The failure of the OM77AF must lie somewhere else.  There is one exposure
mode on this camera that is programmed automatic.  However, there are three
built-in programs according to Shipman and auto program shift and manual
program are explained, but it is not clear what the third program is.  This
does not appeal to those who want to have a manual control over the camera.

While the film speed is read through the DX coding which is convenient,
Olympus did not provide a way to override the setting.

The motor drive is provided with this camera in the form of a grip.  Does
this mean that the motor drive 2 cannot be used with the OM77AF?

Focusing screen: non-interchangeable but a bright super sumi-micron matte
screen, which must be similar to the current 2-x screens.

Flashes: the F280 flash works best with this camera, the T-series flashes
also work.

Items that cannot be used with the OM77AF: Zuiko Reflex 500mm/8, Zuiko
600mm/6.5, Zuiko 1000mm/11, Auto Bellows, 5-pin TTL Auto Cords for T-series
flash, TTL Auto Multi Connector, TTL Auto Connector T20, Slide Copier, Roll
Film Stage and TransIluminator Base X-DE, Electronic Flash T45, Recordata
Backs, Polarazing Filter POL, red filter R60.

Major Accessories: AF Lenses, Power Flash Grip 300, Power Grip 100, TTL Auto
Cord F0.6m, Recordata Back 100, Dioptric Correction Lenses 2.

Basically the OM77AF is not a system camera although Zuiko lenses can be
used (no autofocus and no viewfinder display).

The OM system list I have from Olympus Japan does not list the OM77AF
although the list does include some accessories made for the camera, but
compatible with the OM system bodies.

When I made a survey early this year, most people wanted either lens
compatibility or system compatibility in a new OM body.
(http://www.charm.net/~tomokoy/OMtally.html)

What do you expect from the lens compatibility or system compatibility of
the new OM body, given the situation with the OM77AF?

Tomoko Yamamoto
Photographer, Composer, Soprano
maito:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx
Home Page: http://www.charm.net/~tomokoy/