Re: [OM] OM77AF and Compatibility

Subject: Re: [OM] OM77AF and Compatibility
From: "John Petrush" <jpetrush@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 1998 17:04:28 -0400
Tomoko Yamamoto <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx> asked:

>What do you expect from the lens compatibility or system compatibility of
>the new OM body, given the situation with the OM77AF?

I expect **all** of my attachments and accessories to work on a new OM-5/6
body.  This is especially applicable to items such as the macro/bellows
lenses, T-series flash in TTL mode and motor drives.  In other words, I
expect the new OM to be backward compatible with the rest of the system.
Without it, there is nothing there for me.

Now to be clear, "to work" means the accessory functions in an equivalent
way to previous model OM's.  It does not mean a new OM-5/6 can not have
features or functions that *require* new components in order to fully
exploit all the capabilities of the camera.  As a hypothetical example, the
OM-5 features full view finder information, including lens aperture setting.
A new series of Zuiko lenses would support this feature, but my tried and
true "old" Zuikos would still function on the OM-5 body, just not show the
f/number in the viewfinder.  In all fairness to Olympus, this need not apply
to any third party lenses, but it would be nice.