Re: [OM] InfraRed photos with OM4

Subject: Re: [OM] InfraRed photos with OM4
From: Foltz & Hogan <flzhgn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 08:20:12 -0700
Cc: tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx
Dear Artur, and Tomoko (I hope you read this, too)

I use an Olympus (1n) for infrared photography with Kodak HIE B&W film.
The problem of the dimpled pressure plate is real.  It leaves a checker
board pattern of intensity differences.  You can see this in my infrared
photos on my web page at http://www.netcom.com/~flzhgn/ir.htm in the
second photo (a telescope dome at Kitt Peak, Arizona).  Look at the
light and dark spots in the sky and the clouds.  I went to great lengths
to minimize the effect when I printed the photograph but I could not get
rid of it entirely.

Olympus could fix this by using a flat (teflon coated, perhaps?)
pressure plate.

There are various methods of fixing the problem.  Most use some type
of covering for the dimpled pressure plate.  I have remedied the
situation in my OM 1N by attaching a square piece of exposed photo paper
(I'm not sure of the type but it is smooth and extemely glossy) using
Scotch Brand double sided adhesive tape.

You can find out more about Infrared photography at W.J. Markerink's
informative pages - http://www.a1.nl/phomepag/markerink/mainpage.htm
which is linked to the bottom of my page that was listed above.

I hope this helps you -- other than the dimpled pressure plate, I think
that Olympus cameras are great for using HIE B&W infrared film.  Most
Zuiko lenses have the mostly necessary red IR focussing mark, too.

Hank Hogan <flzhgn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Chmielewski, Artur  wrote:

> Hi!
> I have seen the FAQ chapter mentioning the Olympus' problems with Kodak
> HIE B&W film (due to dimmed film plate) but I would like to know if
> anybody has really experienced this problem in his life. Maybe this
> simply works? I would appreciate every response.
> What about the sensitivity of this film? Does it need a special filter?
> Thanx and Regards,
> Artur

Thomas "Hank" Hogan
Biologist, Photographer, Web Designer, UNIX - user
mailto:flzhgn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.netcom.com/~flzhgn/indexc.htm