Re: [OM] OM] Web page on Winder 1 modification and focusing screen modif

Subject: Re: [OM] OM] Web page on Winder 1 modification and focusing screen modification.
From: Lars Haven <lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 21:22:15 +0200
Soenke Jansen wrote:

Hi Soenke,

> Hi Lars,
> thanks for this valuable information.
> I had done the screen modification before and I would recommend it to
> those, who mostly use their OM2(n) in the auto mode. In the manual mode
> (and thus with the OM1 as I believe), the size of the bias introduced to
> the light measurement seems to be somewhat erratic. Depending on the
> light distribution in the 'picture', I found deviations between 0.5 and
> 1 EV. That might not be such a problem with negative films, but I use
> slide films mostly and they are really unforgiving.
> For the modification itself, I found it useful to fix the screen in a
> small vice (NOT with the flat sides toward the jaws but with the
> rim!!!). In that way you don't have to touch the surfaces at any stage
> of the process.

Nice trick, I had not thought of that. May I steal it for the web page?
I suppose it is best, if the vice has its jaws covered in hard rubber.

> Very useful indeed! There is a reasonably priced winder 1 for sale here
> and I think I shall have a go at it now.
> Only one question remains for me: Does the "tap for single exposure,
> hold for sequence"-method work out well or do you find that you often
> did two or more exposures when you only wanted to take one?

The only problem I have had is that if the "tap" is too brief, the winder
just gives a small hum without making an exposure. What happes is that
the motor inside starts turning, but does not go far enough to release
the shutter and activate the internal switch used to keep the motor running.
The winder operation depends on both electronic control and on switches in
both the camera and the body. My modification bypasses some of the electronic
timing, making the mechanical timing more "visible" to the user.
I expect that you will find the rythm without problems. It is not that
critical, just try the first few shots without film in the camera. It's
practically the same as a winder 2 in sequence mode.

> Soenke Jansen, Hamburg

Regards
Lars

--
Lars Haven  <mailto:lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> aka <lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
"When writing about women, one must dip one's pen in a rainbow"