Re: [OM] Availability OM Gear

Subject: Re: [OM] Availability OM Gear
From: PCA Cala <PCACala@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 May 1998 03:27:50 EDT
Hi David:

>  I recently gave up on my 14 month search for used and bought the 38mm
>  and 20mm macro lenses new from B&H. They had them in stock and I received
>  them 5 days later - despite them being sent via friends in Pittsburgh to
>  avoid B&H's very high overseas shipping charges. Paul vT could not get them
>  for me at the pre-increase price. I am sure they are still available -
>  though I seem to remember that a 40%(!) price increase had been suggested.

This suggests to me that 1) B&H is selling grey market OLY gear and that 2)
they aren't passing along the price increase Olympus America announced.  #1
comes as no suprise, but #2 does.  Pleasantly so.  Spells bad times for US-
based dealers who go through Olympus America.  I would suspect the artificial
price increase can't hold up long.

Is this analysis all washed up?

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV