Re: [OM] Zuiko 300mm 4.5 + 2X

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 300mm 4.5 + 2X
From: "Ulf Westerberg" <ulf.westerberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 18:30:08 +0200
Andre Goforth wrote:

>Well Olympians,
>
>I got my trannies back after an outing with my 300mm and a 2x.
>
>The jury is still out on this combo IMHO.  The problem is that the camera I
>used did not have either a 2-x or a beattie screen when I used this
>combination. As a consequence, there is some question whether the focus is
>off a wee bit because of the difficulty in viewing or it is that this
>combination is a little soft.

Without a bright 2-x or beattie screen, hmm, I guess you're in trouble and
need all the luck you can get!

>Second,  the DOF appears to be real thin
>because the jump from 300 to 600 is subjectively really big.  Wow, this is
>voyeurism! Third, I got a lot of bird shots with one leg blurbed. The
>species I was shooting has a weird way of moving. One leg at a time and
>everthing else motionless.  My wife who has a biology background noted this
>phenomena.  The color seems a little bit off in comparision to shots with
>the 300 only. But I can't tell if this is on account of the "extreme"
>telephoto range of the 600 in comparision with the 300 or if it is on
>account of degradation from the use of the 2X.

I wouldn't worry about this sort of blurring, on the contrary. Your shots
may be more unique than the usual super-sharp ones, after all you've
captured a unique behaviour of this species.

>All in all the shots with 300 + 2x were passable. I think there is a bit
>more "technique" required at this focal length than at 200 and 300. Though
>I was on a tripod I wonder if some vibration may have entered into the
>equation.

It really aquires a lot of technique. Though with training you can get good
images. And of course a good tripod and slowly squeezing the Winder or
MD-equipped OM-camera and lens/multilpier with both hands. You've probably
found this out already.
Famed photographer Larry West actually pushes the 300/4.5+2X combo, stating
in his bird photography book that a 300/4.5 with multipliers 1.4X and 2X may
be the biggest gear you'll ever need.

Ulf Westerberg