Re: [OM] Zuiko 300mm 4.5 + 2X

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 300mm 4.5 + 2X
From: ONLYOLY BW <ONLYOLYBW@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 20:37:44 EDT
In a message dated 98-05-21 23:48:35 EDT,
Hi Andre you write:
<< The jury is still out on this combo IMHO.  The problem is that the camera I
 used did not have either a 2-x or a beattie screen when I used this
 combination. As a consequence, there is some question whether the focus is
 off a wee bit because of the difficulty in viewing or it is that this
 combination is a little soft.

Snip!
I would not worry too much about the 2-x or beattle screens.  Many great shots
were taken long before the 2x were out.  I have a 2-13 in my 3Ti and it is
nice, but I am not going to change my 1-4n, 1-2, 1-8 and 1-10 that I have in
other bodies.  I would guess your softness is from other problems.

 Second,  the DOF appears to be real thin because the jump from 300 to 600 is
subjectively really big.

Snip!
Yep, try focusing on the Eye.

Third, I got a lot of bird shots with one leg blurbed.

Snip!
Most likely - the shutter speed.

 All in all the shots with 300 + 2x were passable. I think there is a bit
 more "technique" required at this focal length than at 200 and 300. Though
 I was on a tripod I wonder if some vibration may have entered into the
 equation.Andre >>

Snip!
Yep!!!!!!!  Keep in mind - everything (Vibration) is multiplied by 12 times at
600mm and only 4 times at 200mm.
BW