Re: [OM] OM-1n age?

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-1n age?
From: dlau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 09:31:32 -0700 (PDT)
On Thu, 21 May 1998 02:06, PCA Cala <PCACala@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>Check the code on the pressure plate.  You can find information on how to read
>that in the OM FAQ file at:
>http://www.astro.wellesley.edu/lhawkins/photo/olympus.faq

>Gary Reese
>Las Vegas, NV

Just curious, how reliable do people think the pressure plate date is
relative to the actual camera body.  In other words, if I bought the
camera new, and I keep it all together at all times, then I can be
sure that the pressure plate date is very reliable as an indication
of the date of manufacturing for the camera.

But one of the nice features of the OM cameras is the removable back,
so if I buy a used camera, what are the chances that the back is the
original one that came with the camera?  If I am selling two OM bodies
and one has a fine body but a chipped back while the other has a fine
back but a scratched body, I would be tempted to switch the backs to
make one excellent and the other bargain (I've heard of dealers doing
this).  Or if I have many bodies and I use different backs (either
bulk or date or Pola) and I remove the backs from several bodies at
the same time, chances are that I'll put a different back on the body
later.

This has always bothered me when I look at used bodies, especially
ones from a dealer or anyone with multiple bodies to sell.  Buying
from an individual is usually not a problem because chances are the
seller only owns one OM body and the chances of a mixup is lower.
Just curious if there are ways to tell if the back was original with
the body.
        -Dan