Re: [OM] Winder vs. Motor Drive

Subject: Re: [OM] Winder vs. Motor Drive
From: "John Petrush" <jpetrush@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 20:14:15 -0400
Chmielewski, Artur <AChmielewski@xxxxxxxxxxxx> asked:
Subject: [OM] Winder vs. Motor Drive

>Hi all!
>Once again, one of these boring questions: what is really the difference
>between Winder and Motor Drive besides different speeds and some minor
>features (rewinding film, etc.). I mean why these 2 products were (are?)
>produced as separate devices (under different names) - what is the
>difference in usage philosphy?
>Thanx in regards and regards,
>Artur Ch.

The winders are lightweights compared to the motor dirves.  Beyond the pure
speed difference, the motor drives have a very heavy duty cycle -- you can
run them hard all day and they seem to like it :).  Shooting 30-40 rolls of
one set of batteries, at full 5 fps, is routine with the MD.

Winder 1 and 2, Motor Drive 1 and 2 all operate with the 250 film back.
Here the motor drives really stand up and shine.  With the increased load of
pulling an 11m (33 ft) piece of film through the camera, much more torque is
required.  This torque is significant enough that Olympus added a second
motor, rotating in the opposite direction, to balance the MD-2.  The
winders, while they "work", do not operate all the full rated speed.  The
motor drives do - and can do it for literally hundreds of frames at a time.

John P