Re: [OM] Winder vs. Motor Drive

Subject: Re: [OM] Winder vs. Motor Drive
From: VELUWEH@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 06:35:59 -0400
Artur Ch. wrote:

>Once again, one of these boring questions: what is really the
difference
>between Winder and Motor Drive besides different speeds and some minor
>features (rewinding film, etc.). I mean why these 2 products were
(are?)
>produced as separate devices (under different names) - what is the
>difference in usage philosphy?

The difference in names is probably a bit confusing, because where
Winder 1 was really just a winder, Winder 2 is actually a slow (half
speed) motor drive. I guess the reason why it is still called Winder is
because Olympus reserved the term 'motor drive'  for professional
usage. And this is exacly the difference in *design* philosophy:
Winders are targeted at amateurs and motor drives are targeted at
professionals; compare it to the difference between the 2 digit OM's
like the OM-10 and the 1 digit OM's like the OM-1. Professional sport
photographers just need a 5 frames/sec. speed. The more versatile
(exchangable) power sources is also a feature most amateurs don't need.
And, not the least, motor drives are built for heavy duty usage. That's
why they're so expensive. When you shoot daily some 20 rolls of film or
more with a Winder, it probably won't last very long. Same is true for
an OM-10...

Hans